Should ‘K’ for kinky be included under the LGBTQ+ umbrella?

‘What does LGBTQ+ actually stand for?’ someone asked me at a dinner party the other day.

It was only when I got past ‘Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer’ where I started to falter. I was struck by the realisation that I didn’t know exactly which groups were included in the umbrella.

When I looked up the official definition of LGBTQ+ I found an article on the MTV website which gave the full listing as LGBTQIAPK. Which means lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual (agender is also sometimes included) polyamorous / pansexual and kinky.

However, the inclusion of the term ‘kinky’ in the umbrella is a highly controversial one, and one that, before I started researching this piece, I had no idea would become so emotive and inflammatory.

Using the word ‘umbrella’ seems right – because that chain of letters is about more than a shorthand, it means inclusion. Everyone who identifies with one of those letters is part of a club. Part… Read the full story

from Metro http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/05/k-kinky-included-lgbtq-umbrella-7282939/
via IFTTT

loading...