Stop typing. Say hello to the old person who just sat at your table

‘From Boxing Day up until the new year I didn’t see anyone,’ says Yvonne Davies, 90, from Dorset.

‘I was on my own for about a week. It was not pleasant. When it was over, I felt completely different again. I think I was a bit anxious.

‘You can’t describe it easily. I was warm, I was comfortable, I had food. I had a phone, which I used – and friends called me. I just felt uncomfortable; I didn’t like it very much.’

Sadly, Mrs Davies is one of many elderly people who spent at least part of the Christmas period alone. Research released by older people’s charity Age UK reveals almost a million (873,000) pensioners wouldn’t have seen or heard from anyone over the festive period.

With no one to talk to, over half of these people (55%) rely on the TV for company.

‘If you’re on your own, you sit and glue your eyes to the television in hopes it will entertain… Read the full story

from Metro http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/17/stop-typing-say-hello-to-the-old-person-who-just-sat-at-your-table-7317804/
via IFTTT

loading...